Thursday, January 16, 2014

Comfort Zone

Let's face it, running is not always pleasant! My run last Sunday along the Potomac River, which is one of the nicest places to run in the DC area, had all the makings of a great run but tired legs and a slightly longer distance than previous weeks made it more difficult than anticipated. That run earned the only sad face of the week in my training log (the faces provide a quick way to assess the week overall)! Yesterday, my legs felt great during a speed workout at the local track (earning a happy face!) but I would not characterize this type of training as fun, at least not during the workout.

Christina's shoe after her run
this morning. That's not Kool-Aid on there!
I thought it was appropriate for this post.
I could've run only 8 miles instead of 11 last Sunday and it would've been more enjoyable. On Wednesday, I could've slowed down at the track or just go for an easy run around a neighborhood, which would've been a lot more fun. Yet, even when my legs felt like Jell-O with several miles left to go, or my lungs were screaming at me to stop running around the track at that speed, I pushed through it. And guess what? Harder training awaits in the next several weeks. But that's the point, isn't it? At least for me it is.

Some of my favorite inspirational quotes revolve around the concepts of comfort, discomfort, and growth, like this quote from Neale Donald Walsch: 

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone". 

I chose to become a paramedic because it was outside of my comfort zone. I started teaching because public speaking was one of the things I was the most uncomfortable with. But it wasn't until recently that I started stepping outside of my running comfort zone. Since then, I have become a much better runner and have learned to enjoy it more, as evidenced by my blog!

This is why I run.

No comments:

Post a Comment