Thursday, January 2, 2014

Snotcicles

Christmas 2013 (Bolton, ON Canada)
On December 21st, one of the worst ice storms in recent years hit the Greater Toronto Area, where Christina and I spent our holidays visiting family and friends. Adverse weather conditions continued for many days. Of course, the snow/ice and low temperatures didn't keep us from getting a few runs in.
Ice Storm 2013: The Aftermath

The night before flying out to Toronto, I ran in shorts. In London (Ontario), I carefully ran on icy sidewalks which had yet to be sanded or salted. Newmarket was much colder and sidewalks were covered in frozen slush from the plows. The icy-but-smooth ditch often provided much relief to my calves from the hard-and-uneven sidewalks until the ditch had too much of a slope and I found myself stuck at the bottom, looking up at Christina bent over laughing. It warmed up slightly while in Bolton. This meant rolling hills covered in slushy snow where I felt like for every step forward, I was taking half a step back. Roads were in similar conditions in Newmarket during a hilly 12 mile run on Sunday, December 29th. Yesterday, back in Rockville, I happily ran on a clean and dry surface wearing SHORTS!

Without running, I likely would have spent most of the holidays inside, eating, drinking, and visiting with family and friends. Instead, I was able to do all that AND enjoy the cold winter air, the sound of snow crunching with each footstep, the neighbourhoods Christina and I grew up in, and yes, there was even the sight of a few snotcicles!

This is why I run.

December 24, 2013 (Newmarket, ON Canada)

No comments:

Post a Comment